Agency for Development of Aquaculture, Kerala - ADAK Fish Farm Poyya, Mala, Kerala, established in 1989 with the help of UNDP. ADAK Poyya is spread over 58.71 hectares with net pond area of 39.15 ha at scenic, back water location of Poyya Mala. Model Shrimp farm and Training Centre Poyya, The Brackishwater Shrimp Farm, Poyya is located at Poyya Panchayat, Pallippuram Village of Kodungallur Taluk in Thrissur district.
The ADAK fish farm at Poyya in Thrissur district presently managed by ADAK is a modern farm constructed under UNDP assistance. The ADAK fish farm Poyya is a product of divine bond between nature and science. This scientifically managed fish farm set in an idyllic spot is worth visiting.
Activities of ADAK Poyya
The Agency for Development of Aquaculture, Kerala (ADAK) is an autonomous body under the Government of Kerala registered under the Travancore-Cochin Literary Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act 1955 (Act XII of 1955). It was registered on 24.5.1989 with its headquarters at Thiruvananthapuram. The Agency has the mandate to implement various programmes for the promotion of aquaculture such as:
- Extending technical assistance to farmers for selection of site, construction of farm, management of farm, harvest and marketing of shrimps
- Imparting training to shrimp farmers especially those belonging to small and marginal category.
- Demonstrating latest culture techniques to shrimp farmers
- Laison with Government Agencies, Central Research Institutions, Financial Institutions, Insurance Companies etc for solving the administrative, technical and financial problems being faced by shrimp farmers.
- Extending financial assistance for setting up of farms, hatcheries etc with a view to increasing production of shrimps and prawns.
The control, administration and management of ADAK are vested with its Governing Body and its Executive Committee.
New projects by ADAK at Mala area - Neythal aquatic museum
Recently, ADAK has planned to extend its functionality seting up of an aqua museum at Neythal Village, a neigbouring place of Poyya Mala. There will be two fisheries sections - aquatic life section and an inland fisheries section - to be functioned in the proposed Neythal aquatic museum.