The uniqueness of 'Kerala Tourism' mainly lies in its natural beauty. Kerala is well-known for its enchanting water bodies that take the form of canals, backwaters and rivers. And there are regions in Kerala, where water dominates life of those living in its vicinity. Secluded beaches, Palm-fringed backwaters, Picturesque hill stations, Lush, tropical forests, Spectacular waterfalls..... India's most idyllic State, Kerala is truly God's Own Contry.
Located at the southernmost tip of India, Kerala is caressed by the Arabian Sea in the west, while the majestic Western Ghats tower up to 2700 m in the east.
Nourished by forty-four rivers, of which the Bharathapuzha – also known as the Nila – has had a profound impact on the culture and lives of the people here. Kerala is today one of the most sought-after new age destinations in Asia.
Apart from being acclaimed as one of the ten paradises of the world, Kerala is also India's most advanced society. 100% literate, the State has India's highest density of science and technology personnel, the highest Physical Quality of Life Index, the highest life expectancy and is India's cleanest and most peaceful State.
A land charming in every detail, Kerala has played host to travelers since time immemorial.
Geography of Kerala
Kerala is located on the southwestern tip of Indian Peninsula with the Arabian Sea in the west and the Western Ghats towering 500 meters to 2700 meters in the east. The Kerala State is divided into three regions - the coastal lowlands of Kerala, the fertile midlands of Kerala and the highlands of Kerala.
The low lands of Kerala are networked by endless backwaters and the deltas of forty four rivers. The midlands of Kerala are rich with cashew trees, coconut, arecanut, tapioca, banana, rice, ginger, peper, sugarcane, rubber and vegetable plantations. The forested highlands of Kerala abound in tea, coffee, rubber and spice plantations and wildlife reserves.
Kerala, India's No.1 State in many aspects
Kerala is unique in a variety of factors and attributes. It has the highest level of Physical Quality of Living index, with high literacy, low infant mortality and longevity. Women are in the forefront of social activities, with no incidence of wife burning.
The whole state is a large garden, with no urban conglomerates, concrete jungles and slums, as in the case of other State capitals. Transport and communications are excellent.
Every village has access to frequent bus services, and even taxis, which has no parallel in any other state. Public hygiene, civic sense and personal cleanliness are of a high order.
No other country or State can match Kerala's natural beauty and splendor. There is substance in the Tourist Corporation claiming that Kerala is “God's own country”.
Kerala is number one in the preferred list of destinations for tourists. This has brought jobs for the educated, who have learn to be polite and courteous. Hotels, restaurants, entertainment centers and other establishments associated with the so-called Hospitality Leisure sectors are springing up all over the State.
In physical terms, this is the cleanest industry, with least pollution and industrial strife. Florida and many other countries depend entirely on Tourism. Some precaution has to be taken to ensure that Kerala does not ruin her rich culture by interaction with cheap tourist attractions.
The gap between rich and poor is quite small. There is no exploitation of the poor and children by irresponsible employers, since the Trade Union move net is very strong, which incidentally has kept industry away from Kerala. Literature, art, music, dance, movies, theater etc are patronized by all segments of society, cutting across religion, caste, and economic status, educational standards, thus upgrading culture.
This is unlike in other States, where art and literature are patronized by the upper classes. Kerala has the largest number of newspapers and periodicals, produces a large number Movies, have many TV channels etc.
- Kerala has a hundred percent literate people.
- Kerala has world class health care systems
- Kerala has India's lowest infant mortality and highest life expectancy rates
- Kerala has the highest physical quality of life in India
- Kerala has best law and order conditions
- Kerala is the most affluent State
- Kerala is peaceful and pristine State
- Kerala is the India's cleanest State
Fact Sheet of Kerala
- Location of Kerala: India (South India)
- Area of Kerala, State of India : 38,863 sq. Km
- Population of Kerala, State of India: 3,18,38,619 (Census)
- Capital of Kerala, State of India : Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
- Language of Kerala, State of India : Malayalam, English is widely spoken. Hindi has influence in major cities
- Religion in Kerala, State of India: Hinduism, Christianity, Islamism
- Time standard of Kerala: GMT +5:30 (IST)
- Currency of Kerala: Indian Rupee
- Literacy of Kerala, State of India: 100% (approximate)
- Climate of Kerala, State of India: Tropical
- Average climatic temperature in Kerala during Summer (Feb - May): 24 to 33 deg Celsius
- Average climatic temperature in Kerala during Monsoon (Jun - Sept): 22 to 28 deg Celsius
- Average climatic temperature in Kerala during Winter (Oct - Jan): 22 to 32 deg Celsius
- Clothing in Kerala, State of India : Light cottons
Airports in Kerala: Thiruvananthapuram / Kochi / Kozhikode / Kannur
Seaport in Kerala: Kochi
International dialing code of Kerala: +91 or 0091
Useful Phone Numbers in Kerala:
- Contact phone number for Police in Kerala: 100
- Contact phone number for Fire in Kerala: 101
- Contact phone number for Ambulance in Kerala: 101
- Telephone Enquiry (BSNL Land pone): 197
- Railway: General / Reservation / Arrival: 131 / 132 / 133
- Telephone number for KSRTC Central Bus Station – Thiruvananthapuram: 0471 – 2327224
- Telephone number for KSRTC Central Bus Station – Kochi: 0484 – 2372033
- Telephone number for KSRTC Central Bus Station – Kozhikode: 0495 – 2723796
Tourist Information Centres in Kerala India
Department of Tourism, Govt. of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram provides tourism information centers in various cities of Kerala and other major cities of India.
Telephone numbers of different Tourist Information Centers in Kerala
- Telephone number for Department Of Tourism, Thiruvananthapuram: 0471-2321132
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Thiruvananthapuram International Airport: 0471-2502298
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Thiruvananthapuram Domestic Airport: 0471-2501085
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station Thampanoor: 0471-2334470
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Thiruvananthapuram Central Bus station Thampanoor: 0471-2327224
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, ITDC Compound Kovalam: 0471-2480085
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Pathanamthitta: 04869-2326409
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Alappuzha: 0477-2260722
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Thekkady: 04869 -222620
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Govt.Guest House, Marine Drive, Ernakulam: 0484-2360502
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, International Airport, Nedumbassery: 0484-2611308
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Domestic Terminal, Kochi: 0484-2611309
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Kozhikode Railway Station: 0495-2702606
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Karipur Airport: 0483–2712762
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Center, Wayanad: 04936-204441
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Office, Government of Kerala, TTDC Complex, Walajha Road, Chennai 600 002: 044-25382639
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Office, Government of Kerala, Travancore Palace, K G Marg, New Delhi 110 001: 011-23382067
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Office, Government of Kerala, Ground Floor, Kadamba Bus station Building, Panaji, Goa: 0832-2437797
- Telephone number for Tourist Information Office, Government of Kerala, India Tourism Complex, 123, M K Road, Church Gate, Mumbai 400 020: 022-2203049