Frequently Asked Questions About Ration Card (Ration Card FAQ)

Indian Ration Card lets you not only obtaining rationing articles from ration shop but it uses as a proof of identity and address proof. In some occasions, it acts as an income proof too. Here we mainly look into the Ration Card FAQs over type of ration cards and rationing articles from Fair Price Shops.


What are the classification of Ration Card?

There are five types of ration card:

  1. APL ration card
  2. BPL ration card
  3. Antordoy Anna Yojna card
  4. Annapurna Anna Yojna card
  5. Nirashrit Antordoy Anna Yojna card

Upto age of 12 years, a half unit ration card is issued and full unit ration card is issued in case of age more than 12 years.


Frequently Asked Questions About Ration Card (Ration Card FAQ)


What are the Documents Required for Applying Ration Cards in Various States of India?

The required enclosures for an APL ration card are: a proof of residence (the person's name must be enlisted in Passport / Voter list / Bank pass book / Land registry copy / Telephone bill/ Electric bill / Aadhaar), birth certificate (for family member of half unit) and two copies of photograph of the Head of the family.


In case a person applies for a BPL/Antordoy Anna Yojna ration card, then the required enclosures are BPL certificate and two copies of photograph of the Head of the family.


For Annapurna Anna Yojna ration card, every ward member sends a list of people who are eligible, in his/her ward to RMC's ration department.


In case a person applies for a Nirashrit Antordoy Anna Yojna ration card, then the required enclosures are proof of nirashrit (the bank pass book for getting the nirashrit pension) and two copies of photograph of the Head of the family. (if the person is under BPL, BPL certificate is also required).


For obtaining a new ration card of any of the above type, the applicant has to produce a "No Objection Certificate" from the respective ration shop of his/her ward, certifying that he/she does not have any ration card in that shop.


What are the methods available for applying Ration card in Indian States?

Application for the ration card can be submitted either directly to your Taluk Supply office / District Supply office (TSO/DSO office) OR online submission. Detailed information and step by step procedure for both online application and offline (direct) application for obtaining ration cards are found here.


What are the services provided by the Department Of Civil Supplies, Government Kerala?

Rice, Wheat, Levy Sugar and Kerosene are the rationed articles supplied through the ration shops to the card holders in the state under the Public Distribution System (PDS).


Distribution of Rationed Rice and Wheat

The family ration card is issued on the basis of house to house enumeration of the details of families. One Unit per day is allowed to a non-adult and two Units per day is allowed for an adult.


Under the Rationing System every month the Government of India allocate Rice, Wheat, Sugar and Kerosene to the State Government. The Rice and Wheat so allocated by the Government of India are stored in the various godowns in the state by the Food Corporation of India (FCI) in the state.


The Food Corporation of India is having their 22 Sub depots in 14 Districts and they distribute Rice and Wheat directly to the Wholesale Distributors who will supply the stock lifted to retail depot in accordance with the authority list issued by the Taluk/City Rationing Officers.


The Authorised Wholesale Distributors are appointed by the District Collectors while the Retail Distributors are appointed by the District Supply officers.


The Authorised Retail Distributors distribute to the cardholders the rationed articles on production of the ration cards issued by the Taluk Supply officers/City Rationing Officers at the scale and price fixed by the Government from time to time.


How does Levy Sugar distributed to Ration Card Holders?

The Levy Sugar allotted by the Government of India is lifted by the Civil Supplies Corporation and made available for distribution to the ARDs at their Taluk levels Depots. The ARDs lift the levy sugar from the Taluk Depot of the Corporation and distribute it to the card holders.


How does Kerosene distributed to Ration Card holders?

The whole operation of distribution of kerosene is governed by the Kerala Kerosene Control Order, 1968, promulgated by the State Government under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955.


As per this order, sufficient number of kerosene Wholesale Dealers (KWDs) for a Taluk are appointed by the District Collector concerned and these KWDs lift the stock of kerosene allotted to them every month by the Departmental Officers from the respective Oil Companies, I.O.C., B.P.C., and H.P.C., and make it available for distribution to the ARDs who in turn lift the stock allotted to them and distribute it to card holders.


What does it mean 1 unit in Ration card?

At present one unit ration is defined as 1 Kg.


What are the types of Ration Cards Available?

There are mainly two types of cards available. APL (Above Poverty Line) Ration Cards for the families of above Poverty Line and BPL (Below Poverty Line) Ration Cards for those families belonging to Below Poverty Line.


Other cards coming under the BPL category were the AAY (Anthyodaya Anna Yojana Scheme) Ration Cards for the poorest families among the BPL families and ANP (Annapurna Scheme) Ration Card meant for the senior citizens above the age of 65 in BPL families.


What does it mean temporary ration Card?

Temporary Ration Cards are issued to those who stay temporarily in any part of the state.


What are the uses of a Ration Card?

Ration Card is the basic document for the purchase of rationed articles under the Targeted Public Distribution System. The Taluk Supply Officer (TSO) / Assistant Taluk Supply Officer (ATSO) is the Officer empowered to issue Ration Cards and to make available the food grains for distribution through FPS (Fair Price Shops).


Though Ration Cards are permitted to be used for drawing rationed articles only, it is widely recognized and used as identity card, for exercise of franchise, obtaining passport, Bank loans, LPG connection, telephone connection, driving license etc. The Ration cards should not be used for any purpose other than for the issue of food-grain under TPDS.


There are 78 Comments

Dear Sir,
I and my Family is living in outside of India, How to apply for Ration Card, can I apply online, and how I can get Ration Card and How I will pay the expense money for the ration card

We, all members of the family staying abroad, we have ration card, now it is time to renew. Can we submit documents thru relative and available to appear in person during March 2015. Is it possible.

The current ration card renewal process allows only those who can personally reach at the camps where receiving filled in forms and photo capturing of the card owner. If you are unable to attend these camps, try to get the form from the ration shop through your relative and iform the situation to your DSO / TSO. During vacation, you can visit DSO /TSO to submit the filled in form with supportive documents. Just read the ration card renewal guidelines and FAQ for more details.

Dear Sir,

My family's ration card has not been renewed since the year 2000.Therefore, it is of the old type ( no bar code,etc. ).I would like to apply for a new ration card ( the present type ) and as my ration card hasn't been renewed for a long time , I'm unsure of what to do.Should I apply by saying that I don't already have a ration card or that I have an old one and would like a new card ? Also, I would like to include some new members ( my children ).Could you please inform me about the required procedure to do the above?

I have new rashion card - how to new member add rashion card list

First of all you have to renew your ration card as per the latest rationing system. After obtaining new ration card (renewed) you can apply for adding new members to your ration card. The new requirement for adding a member shall be notified by Department hopefully in June - July 2015.

My ration card was issued in 2008.That time my uncle included his name along with our card. And my brothers name. Presently my uncle and brother has shifted their house.And they are abroad and will not come back within 2 years.And my brother has taken gas connection in his name in the ration card. What should I do to cut their name from ration card as well as to get gas connection in my name.Please help me.

Dear sir/madam,

Are APL card holders in Kerala eligible for sugar from PDS? if so , how many units/month?

my maid collected the ratiin card renewal form today. She is informed the photo will be taken on 24th of this month.But she will be travelling to Bangalore on 10th. Could you let us know whether the photo can be taken later?

Could you please let me know how citizens who are out of station can renew their ration cards when they can neither collect the forms from the ration shops nor be present for getting their photo taken? Can it be done online?

According to their Ration Card Renewal FAQ, there will have facility for out-of-station citizen to submit their details online. But Civil Supplies department has not yet activated their website for online renewal process. Even after applying online, card owner should visit the Supply office for taking photo and identification verification.

Hello there...we have been hearing news that ration card is to be changed to senior women in the family...but we are staying abroad...can we do it when we come to india during vacation time in july or august...please advise.

Nobody is going to stop you renewing your ration card in the later stage, but you have to wait for some time till completing the campaign and personally report to your concerned TSO / DSO with the documents. The ongoing renewal process is a Govt. Sponsored massive campaign in which you need not visit your DSO / TSO for identification and photographing. Everything will be done at the camps where located near to your place / Ration shop.

Dear Sir, I have been living in Trichur for the past 10 yrs yet my name is not being included in ration card which is under my husbands name. I studied abroad and settled here after my marriage .I dont own a ration card anywhere else.I would like to know what are the procedures to include my name in card. I have Aadhar card and identity card .Kindly give me a reply....

Ongoing Campaign for Ration Card renewal intended for existing cards and its registered members only. An exception is given for children aged above 2 years can include their name if provided their birth certificate. Others can not be included in this campaign but after completing renewal process, you can visit your DSO / TSO office or apply through online and get included your name. If you are the elder women in your family, then card's ownership will also be transfered in to your name.

Read more details at: Ration Card FAQ

Sir. I'm laxman c.I have 24 year old and my adding my name in ration card

The ration card was not renewed after year 2000. Father passed away 2010 and we do not have Aadhar card.
1. Can we apply for renewal based on old card at hand or do we need to apply for new card.
2. Can we apply now or do we have to wait till April 2015 to apply.
3. What documents are needed to submit for this. Now only mother and me staying at address. We are APL.
Please advise as it is a very confusing situation and we would like to obtain a ration card.

First of all you check your renewal form has reached at your ration shop. Since your card is very old, most probably there is no chance for including in the computer database. If there is no form with dealer you have to wait the completion of current renewal process. Then probably during May or June you can apply for renewal of your old ration card with latest member data. Meanwhile it is advisable to obtain Aadhaar for at least elder women in your family for priority consideration. Read other comments and main article for how to apply for renewal /new ration card.

We have ration card but we did not use since long time, now we renew our ration card and we want to get digitalised card. How we will apply?

I used to live with my family (parents, wife & children). Now I with wife and children have shifted to a rented house. How can I delete my name alongwith wife and children. How to apply for new ration card (temporary or permanent. Can I do all this online. Will I require permission from landlord of present residence for issuing new card. Both houses are in the same locality. My new house is under construction in another locality.

1. You wanted to deduct your name along with your wife and kids from existing card which is issued in the name of your Father/Mother. You can do it by collecting a deduction certificate if you provide necessary documentation along with application. This process is now stopped for sometime since the ongoing campaign for renewal of existing ration card. Better you contact your DSO/TSO and enquire when it can be started again.

2. Then you want to apply for a fresh card using your new rented house address. It can be done only after completing ongoing campaign for ration card renewal. Since you have started construction of your house, is it legitimate to have it right now? If you want to have new ration card, additional details are agreement from the house owner and ward member's recommendation.

3. Besides your new house is under construction and after some months, you will shift to your new permanent address. If you will shift within a few months it is better to have your card after shifting it.

My personal advice: If you or your parents do not come under priority category, keep all the members' details with your parents ration card and get it renewed first. Then you can deduct your details from parent's card for making fresh card in the name of your wife.


I am and my daughter of 7yrs staying in Ernakulam for past 3 yrs. I got separated from my husband.Almost 6yrs over.
Can I take a ration card only for me and my daughter. We have never taken.

Separated women and her children will get ration card. You may require to submit additional documents such as affidavit from ward member and sometimes NOC from your husband. Otherwise you should have divorce certificate to prove that you have legally done it. Complete details can be had from your City rationing Officer / DSO.

The ongoing campaign does not have facility for new ration card. You have to wait some more time hopefully you can apply May / June. Details will be announced in the newspapers after completion of ongoing ration card renewal campaign.

Myself and Wife are NRI's and i want to delete my wife's name from her parents ration card and to addd in my ration card (under my mother's name). Also wants to add my 2year old son. Please advice the procedure.

First of all yor wife has to collect deduction certificate from her parrent's TSO and it has to be attached to the application for adding her name to your rationing office - TSO/DSO/CRO.

You have to wait until renewal process to complete. After receiving the renewed ration card, you can apply for this either online or direct. I hope there will be some modification in the existing procedure for Inclusion of new members since new system ration card and its functionality has been changed. Keep in touch with your rationing office preferably after two months ie, May or June.

I have an APL ration card to be renewed. Is it a mandatory requirement to obtain a ration card? As Aadhar or Passport is available for ID purposes, would any Govt. or private authorities insist to produce the ration card for any purposes? I am able to sustain with out depending the PDS or not being an additional burdon to the Govt in TPDS. Please advise what difficulties one would face having no ration card.

Citizen can opt-out from rationing system if they don't want anything from PDS.

Offices like bank, village, panchayat etc. will ask ration card for address proof but if you have aadhaar cad, it will be enough for it. Even if you don't want ration card, it is advisable to keep it as an authenticated document which may be useful in an unexpected moment! Who knows what can't be happened.

If you think it will be a burden forget it.

Hi, Thank you for the details. I am from Tamil Nadu and my wife is from Kerala. And we were purchased a house in Trivandrum. We are staying over there. We are looking for a new ration card. I don't have a good touch with my family. So i can't provide the details of "removal of name from old card is not possible to submit". How can I get a card in this situation.

Your name is already there in your parent's ration card but due to family issues, you are unable to communicate with them for deducting your name from it. You wait until completion of the renewal process and try to find whether your name has been deducted from the new card. Most probably, your parents or the current holder of your parent's ration card omitted your name from it. If it is not, you can apply for a fresh card with out difficulties. Otherwise, you contact your parents through a mediator and get the deduction certificate for applying new one. Why can't you have a discussion with your DSO/TSO?

Sir I am unable to know status of ration card. Whether it is accepted or rejected.
Mother's : Laxmi Sahoo, Father's Name : Rasananda Sahoo, G.P. : Chandol, Blolck-Derabish, Dist-Kendrapara. Application Form No. 0450

my last ration card was a antyoday Ann yojna but at time of renewal they convert my ration card in above poverty line, so I want antyoday Ann yojna type card, how can I apply for that, plz tell me

According to new rationing system, you cannot request for a particular type ration card. It depends the eligibility calculated based on the documents and proof you submitted. If there is any mistakes happened, you can request for a reconsideration along with the proof and evidences.

I had applied ration card and verification also done but still we did not get any reply. Please let me know what should I do and how to check status.

You have not stated that when it has been done and where. If it is in Kerala, new ration card shall not be issued until completion of statewide renewal of ongoing process.

The application with all supporting documents required have been submitted to the Punnapra North Panchayat office,Alappuzha by my wife Nagamma B.Nair in the month of July 2015 for issue of the new Ration Card in her name. When are we going to receive the New Ration Card ?

According to latest press release, renewed ration cards will be delivered to applicant by January, 2016. If all are going as planned, you can start using your new ration card by Feb, 2016.

Sir, I want to know that who can get ration card items if he is an job seeker for which salary group , monthly salary upto - below rs 10000, or above rs10000. Do people with low package salary below 10000 per month can obtain ration items or will it lead to ration cancellation if above 10000 per month salary.

Sir, we are live in rented house what documents are required to make ration card & how to apply ration card

Hello , my mother used to purchase from ration shop every month and in future due to some personal reasons she will be moving outside India for few months and the card will not be used for some months , can she be able to use the same card even though it is not expired or does that needs to be renewaled due to not in use ? And also my question is in case if the ration card is not used to purchase in ration shop for along period will it will expired or that can be used in future for purchasing of goods as before without any kind of renewals ????

Don't worry! Be Happy!!

Nothing will happen even if you are not using your ration card for one year.

Once you have obtained ration card, as of now, it is your decision whether rationing articles to be purchased or not. No one will ask you why don't you use it. Buy or not to buy, it is your discretion.

I have not used the ration card for 10 months. Will it expire or not.

No, It won't be expired. If you found no use, you can surrender it so that your allotment of the rationing articles will be reduced from the system else there are chances to misuse it by retailers.